The Road to a Massachusetts Driver’s License
We know keeping up with the Massachusetts RMV requirements for a driver’s license. Refer to this timeline to figure out the next steps in the journey to your driver’s license.
- At age 16, students may sign up for driver’s education, but can only complete the classroom portion.
- Get the state manual from the registry.
- After studying, take the writing test to get your permit - need various IDs.
- Begin 30 hours of classroom lessons.
- Parents must attend a 2-hour class with their student drivers.
- Students complete 6 hours of observation, watching other experienced drivers navigate the roads.
- Upon completion of classroom instruction, students go through a minimum of 12 hours of behind-the-wheel. If need-be, we are glad to do more until the student feels confident and comfortable.
- After completing these portions, the RMV will issue a certificate of completion in their system.
- Students must complete an additional 40 hours of supervised road practice and show proof to the RMV.
- Students must hold the permit for 6 months before booking a road test.
- After successfully passing the road test, students will become licensed drivers.